Book Review: "Stalking Jack the Ripper", by Kerri Maniscalco

I'm talking about a book again, how exciting!! I actually loved including some book reviews on the blog during December, and thought it'd be nice to do whenever I read a book that deserves 5 stars and all my love.

Over the past year, I have heard a lot about "Stalking Jack the Ripper". It actually got to the point where I didn't want to read it because the hype was huge and it was going to disappoint me. Spoiler alert: it didn't.
I couldn't put it down and that is always a good sign. But sometimes I read books that are fairly average and I can't put them down. So let me tell you (without spoiling you) why this book is so good.

"Mostly because my modern stance (on why girls were equally capable of having a profession of apprenticechip) offered endless amusement."
 Quote from "Stalking Jack the Ripper"

Vuelvo a hablar de un libro, ¡qué emoción! Me encantó añadir un par de reseñas literarias en el blog durante diciembre, y pensé en hacerlo de vez en cuando. Ya sabéis, cuando encuentre un libro que me vuelva loca.

Durante el último año, he oído mucho sobre "Stalking Jack the Ripper". De hecho, llegó a un punto en que me planteé no leerlo porque las críticas eran tan abrumadoramente buenas que pensé que sin duda me iba a decepcionar. Spoiler: no lo hizo.
No podía parar de leer, lo cual es una buena señal. Pero a veces me ocurre eso con libros que son tirando a normalitos también. Así que dejadme que os cuente (sin spoilers) porque este libro es tan maravilloso.


-"Stalking Jack the Ripper", by Kerry Maniscalco. 5/5 stars.


First things first, the plot. This book is set in London in 1888, during the months of Jack the Ripper's murders. Our protagonist and narrator, Audrey Rose Wadsworth, is a highborn girl who wants to study forensic science with her uncle but finds all kinds of adversities mainly because she is a girl. That shows us already that this book can be on the feminist side, which ends up being true. And it's one of the main reasons why I loved it. She is a very strong character, who also shows weakness and who fights to get men to consider her their equal. Melts my heart everytime I think about it.
Audrey Rose finds herself involved in the investigation of Jack the Ripper's murders and meets very interesting characters along the way. My favourite? Mr Thomas Creswell, who gives us some of the best quotes I've ever read in my life.  

Of course, there is a lot of fiction involved but also a lot of true facts about the murders, which made me want to research about them a bit more. I've never been interested in this specific murderer, and it was very interesting.
The writing is very beautiful and polished but also easy to read, at least for me. It combines action, description and other elements really well. 

Each book of the series has its own mistery, so they can be read as standalones. However, because of how character driven this book is, I recommend reading them all in the right order. I already finished "Hunting Prince Dracula", the second book on the series, and I loved it as well.

"One needen't be strong in only physical matters - a strong mind and will were fierce to behold as well."
Quote from "Stalking Jack the Ripper"

Empecemos por lo primero, la trama. Este libro está ambientado en Londres en 1888, durante los meses en que ocurrieron los asesinatos de Jack el Destripador. Nuestra protagonista y narradora, Audrey Rose Wadsworth, es una chica de clase alta que quiere estudiar ciencia forense con su tío, pero se encuentra con muchas adversidades debido a ser mujer. Esto nos indica la posibilidad de que este libro tenga tintes feministas, y no engaña al hacerlo. Y esta es una de las razones principales por las que me ha gustado. Este es un personaje muy fuerte, que también sabe mostrar sus debilidades y que lucha buscando que los hombres la consideren su igual. Me enamoro solo de pensarlo.
Audrey Rose se encuentra de repente en medio de la investigación de los asesinatos de Jack y se encuentra personajes muy interesantes por el camino. ¿Mi favorito? Mr Thomas Creswell, que nos da algunas de las mejores frases que he leído en mi vida.

Evidentemente hay mucha ficción, pero también muchos hechos reales sobre los asesinatos, lo que me hizo querer investigar más sobre lo ocurrido. Nunca me interesé en especial por este asesino en serie, y fue interesante aprender más.
Está escrito de una manera que hace que resulte muy fácil de leer, al menos para mi. Combina muy bien acción, descripción y otros elementos de la historia.

Cada libro de la serie cuenta con su propio misterio, por lo cual pueden ser leídos individualmente. Pero teniendo en cuenta como son los personajes, recomiendo leerlos todos en orden. Ya he terminado el segundo, "Haunting Prince Dracula", y me gustó muchísimo también.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Blast from the past: Vogue USA December 1992, "Grunge & glory"

MET Gala 2018: Best dressed