Book review: "The Cruel Prince", by Holly Black


Overhyped books...they terrify me. And this one probably redefined the word overhyped, but I have to agree with everyone responsible for that.

"The Cruel Prince" is my first Holly Black book, and I'm really looking forward to reading some of her previous work. Her writing is one that I find very easy to read, while having a lot of words I wasn't even familiar with.
To sum the plot up without giving much away, I'll say that this book is about Jude, a human who lives among the Fae. She craves being accepted by them, but many Fae despise humans. So you can guess it's not an easy ride for her and her twin sister. We follow her story while we discover everything that is going on in the Fae lands, where a big political change is about to happen.

One of the things that I enjoy the most (and that I always like in books) is that there was a combination of action and description. This world is quite a complex one, and it is explained to us while things keep on happening. That makes the reading process more entertaining.
I also loved how it is set in 2018, and how the human worls is our human world. On many fantasy books, humans live in some sort of medieval world but not on this one.
Some people may find the plot twists more or less predictable, but I have to say I didn't see most things coming. Or, if I guessed it, I definetely didn't guess how they'll get to that point.
But probably what I liked the most was that the characters where very complex. None of them is just good or bad, there are lots of layers and that makes them much more interesting.
The ending was very satisfying. There are two more books in this trilogy, so it obviously ended on a cliffhanger. However, it was a satisfying one, at least for me.

All in all, I great read. I gave this book 4.25/5 stars.

"The Cruel Prince" (The Folk of the Air #1), by Holly Black


Libros que todo el mundo alaba...me aterrorizan. Y este puede que haya redefinido ese concepto, pero voy a tener que darle la razón a los responsables de que eso ocurriera.

"The Cruel Prince" es el primer libro de Holly Black que leo, y sin duda tengo ganas de leer sus trabajos anteriores. La manera en que escribe me resulta muy fácil de leer, pese a que use muchas palabras que no conozco.
Por resumir sin destriparos la trama, diré que este libro nos cuenta la historia de Jude, una humana que vive en el mundo de las Hadas. Su mayor deseo es ser aceptada por ellos, pero muchas Hadas detestan a los humanos. Así que podéis imaginar que no lo tienen fácil ni ella ni su hermana gemela. En esta novela seguimos su historia mientras vamos descubriendo todo lo que está ocurriendo en la tierra de las Hadas, donde cambios políticos muy grandes están a punto de suceder.

Una de las cosas que más me gustó (y que siempre aprecio en libros) es que hubo una combinación de acción y descripción. Este es un mundo muy complejo, y nos lo van explicando mientras siguen sucediendo cosas. A mi modo de ver, eso hace que el proceso lector sea mucho más fluido.
También me gustó que la historia ocurra en 2018, y que el mundo de los humanos sea nuestro mundo. En muchas historias de fantasía los humanos viven en una especie de mundo medial. No en esta.
Hay gente que pensará que las tramas son más o menos predecibles, pero yo confieso que no me esperaba la mayoría de cosas. O, si me las esperaba, pasaban de manera diferente a como lo imaginé.
Pero mi parte favorita fue lo complejos que eran todos los personajes. No vale con definirlos como buenos o malos, porque van mucho más allá.
El final me resulto satisfactorio. Es abierto, ya que hay dos libros más en la trilogía. Pero aún así, me dejó satisfecha.

Le dí a este libro 4.25/5 estrellas.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Blast from the past: Vogue USA December 1992, "Grunge & glory"

MET Gala 2018: Best dressed