"13 minutes" by Sarah Pinborough #blogmasday18


When I knew I'll be talking about different books during this month, I wanted to show you books that were not the same thing over and over again. 
I talked about Sharapova's biography, which is non-fiction and has a sport element. And also about the "Fever" series, which is fantasy. "13 minutes" is fiction, but has no fantasy on it. So as you can see, those books are clearly not the same.

I had seen this book everytime I went to a bookshop and it caught my eye every single time. I finally decided to listen to the audiobook and it was a great decision. Rosie Jones is, so far, my favourite narrator I've ever listened to on an audiobook. Her different voices and accents gave the characters a lot of personality, and made it really easy to know who was talking when. And the last couple of sentences were probably the creepiest thing I've ever listen, but also incredibly brilliant.

The story is pretty intriguing. Natasha is found dead on a river, but the doctors manage to bring her back to live. She was dead for 13 minutes, and now we need to know how she got to that point. 
With that kind of start, it is very easy to get into the story because you need to know what happened. 
This is a standalone, so we do get answers in this book to what happened and why. But I don't want to spoil you, so that's all I'm going to say about the plot.

On the cover, there is a quote by "The Times" saying that this is "Mean Girls in the instagram era". And that's probably the best and most disturbing thing about this book. It talks, in detail, about virtual bullying, which is a problem I never really had. By the time social media became big, I was already an adult and things didn't affect me the way they would have as a teenager. However, reading about this terrifies me, because that bit of the story is not fiction. 

But all in all, it was a book that I couldn't stop listening to and I recommend it a lot. I gave it 3.5 starts, because the last 20% of it disappointed me a little, but it still was a great read...well, not read because I listened to it. You know what I mean.


Cuando pensé en hablar de varios libros este mes, supe que quería enseñaros libros que fuesen diferentes. No hablar de lo mismo una y otra vez.
Hablé de la biografía de Sharapova, lo cual no es ficción y tiene un elemento deportivo. Y también de la saga "Fever", que es fantasía. "13 minutes" is ficción, pero no tiene nada de fantasía. Así que podéis ver que cada libro es diferente. 

He visto este libro en las librerías cada vez que iba a una, y siempre me llamó la atención. Al final decidí escuchar el libro en su versión audio y fue una gran decisión. Rosie Jones es, de momento, mi narradora favorita en este tipo de libros. Sus diferentes voces y acentos añadieron mucha personalidad a los personajes, e hizo que fuera muy sencillo saber quien hablaba en cada momento. Y las últimas frases del libro leídas como las leyó ella fueron aterradoras, pero a la vez maravillosas.

La historia está llena de intriga. Natasha es encontrada muerta en el río, pero los médicos consiguen reanimarla. Estuvo muerta durante 13 minutos, y ahora necesitamos saber como llegó a esa situación.
Este libro no pertenece a una serie, así que las respuestas las encontramos aquí. Pero no quiero desvelaros más, así que solo diré esto sobre la trama.

En la portada hay una cita del "Times" diciendo que es "Mean Girls (Chicas Malas) en la era de Instagram". Y eso es probablemente lo mejor y lo más perturbador del libro. Habla, en detalle, del acoso virtual, el cual es un problema que yo nunca he tenido. Para cuando las redes sociales empezarona dominar el mundo, yo ya era una adulta. Y las cosas no me afectan como lo hacían cuando era una adolescente. Sin embargo, leer sobre este problema me aterroriza, porque esa parte de la historia no es ficción.

Pero en general, este libro me mantuvo intrigada hasta el final y no podía parar de oírlo. Así que lo recomiendo mucho.
Le di 3,5 estrellas de 5 porque el último 20% me decepcionó un poco, pero aún así fue una gran lectura...aunque no lo leí, lo escuché. Ya me entendéis. 

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Blast from the past: Vogue USA December 1992, "Grunge & glory"

MET Gala 2018: Best dressed