My favourite song: "Afterlife", by Avenged Sevenfold #blogmasday20


When I decided to do blogmas, I knew I was going to struggle with the random posts. I didn't want them to just be about books or music, because that could be boring. But the truth is that those are the two things that keep me sane, so it makes sense that I talk about them a lot. I also told myself: Ana, do not write 20 posts about A7X! Stop annoying everyone!
And I only wrote 2 about them in a whole month, so don't bite me ;)

It can't be denied that it is a band that has changed many things in my life, and one of those things is my favourite song. It used to be "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse, but now it isn't anymore. 
The one that becomes your favourite isn't always the one that catches your attention immediately, and this example proves it. While I was listening to the entire A7X catalogue, "Afterlife" didn't speak to me that much the first couple of times that I listened to it. 
However, since I'm a music freak, just listening to songs isn't enough. So I went on youtube, and watched every single "making of" A7X has ever done, and that helped me appreciate certain songs so much more. It was then that I got the lyrics, emptied my brain for 5 minutes and 52 seconds, and finally realised that Afterlife was absolutely perfect for me.
If you really like a song, try to find a making of that will allow you to tell how it came to be the way it is. They are often very eye opening.

This is not their longest song, but it's got a perfect length. The lyrics speak to me massively, which is obviously something very personal. In this album, they decided to have all the members of the band recording vocals and every single song where The Rev added some vocals became an instant classic. His technique was far from perfect, but the raw feeling behind his vocals gives me goosebumps. In this song, it's particularly special when he is singing backup vocals before one of the best guitar solos EVER. 
But what makes this song extremely special is the use of many different instruments. This band is very progressive and they have used more classical instruments in many songs. For this one, we can clearly hear the violins and cellos, which elevate the song and blend seamlessly with the more "modern" instruments. Perfect song to show to all the people who say metal and classical music have nothing in common.

The video/radio version sucks big time, though. They cut my favourite part, which is The Rev's vocals before the solo, and it just sounds wrong. I hate it when they do that. But I do like the video, so I'll leave you both versions. 

Album version:


Video/Radio edit:


Making of:


Live:


Cuando decidí hacer blogmas, supe que me costaría pensar en tantas entradas sobre cosas no relacionadas con belleza y moda. No quería hablar solo de música o libros, porque podría ser aburrido. Pero lo cierto es que esas son las dos cosas que me mantienen cuerda, así que tiene sentido que hable mucho de ellas. También me dije a mi misma: Ana, no escribas 20 entradas sobre A7X. ¡Deja de molestar a la gente hablando de ellos!
Solo han sido dos, no os quejéis ;)

No se puede negar que es un grupo que ha cambiado muchas cosas en mi vida, y una de ellas es mi canción favorita. Solía ser "Knights of Cydonia" de Muse, pero ya no lo es.
La favorita a veces no es la que más te llama la atención de primeras, como pasó esta vez. Cuando empecé a escuchar el catálogo de A7X, "Afterlife" no fue la canción que más me cautivó.
Sin embargo, como soy una friki en lo que a música se refiere, escuchar una canción no es suficiente. Así que me fui a youtube a buscar todos los "making of" que la banda ha hecho, y eso me ayudó a apreciar ciertas canciones mucho más. Fue entonces cuando busqué la letra, vacié mi cerebro durante 5 minutos y 52 segundos, y al fin me di cuenta de que Afterlife es la canción perfecta para mi.
Si os gusta una canción, buscad el making of que os enseñará como se creó. Abre mucho los ojos.

Esta no es su canción más larga, pero tiene una duración perfecta. La letra me afecta bastante, pero eso obviamente es algo muy personal. En este album decidieron que todos los miembros del grupo grabarían partes cantando, y todas en las que The Rev añadió su voz, se conviertieron automáticamente en clásicos. Su técnica puede que no sea perfecta, pero el sentimiento con el que canta me pone la piel de gallina. En esta canción es particularmente especial cuando canta antes de uno de los mejores solos de guitarra de la historia.
Pero lo que hace esta canción extremadamente especial es el uso de diferentes instrumentos. Este grupo es bastante progresivo y han usado intrumentos más clásicos en muchas canciones. En esta podemos oír violines y cellos que elevan la canción y se mezclan perfectamente con los instrumentos más "modernos". Es una canción perfecta para los que dicen que el metal y la música clásica no tienen nada en común.

La versión del vídeo y de radio no me gusta nada. Han cortado mi parte favorita, que es la que The Rev canta antes del solo, y en general suena todo mal. Odio cuando hacen eso. Pero el vídeo me gusta, así que os dejaré ambas versiones. 

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Blast from the past: Vogue USA December 1992, "Grunge & glory"

MET Gala 2018: Best dressed